Anyone who is interesting in combining their worship with technology will certainly be looking for an electronic Bible that can be used on their mobile device. These Bible apps allow you to quickly look up scripture references, take notes, and highlight passages. And since they are installed on your phone or tablet device, you will always have God’s Word with you!
- YouVersion : This is the most popular Bible application across multiple device platforms. The biggest reason is that it is FREE. Yes that’s right, God’s Word in your pocket and it doesn’t cost you a dime. With an almost unlimited number of translations, YouVersion is also available for just about everyone, supporting Android, iOS, Blackberry, Palm, and mobile web. Regardless of what device you have, YouVersion is there.
- Logos Bible Software: This is more than just a Bible, it is a complete reference set available for your handheld device. The software is free and comes with some starter materials, but as soon as you discover the wealth of information available, you may want to purchase additional materials. The mobile software is not as functional as their desktop powerhouse program, but it is still one of the best options available for someone who needs more than just a Bible. Available for iPhone and iPad, and currently in open beta testing for Android.
- PocketBible by Laridian: This is a powerful Bible application that allows you to download Bibles that you purchase to your device and use offline. (In other words, you don’t have to have a data connection to use this program.) This program does require you to purchase the program and the bibles, however, it is one of the easiest to use Bible applications on the market today. Full featured with notes and highlights, this program should be on the mobile device of anyone serious about studying God’s Word. Available for iOS and blackberry devices, with the Android version currently in Alpha Testing. Please keep in mind that the Android version is ALPHA and is just a shell of all of the other Bible apps available at this time. I include it in my list of favorites based on the Blackberry and iOS versions. I have missed this app for Android for a long time and am excited to see development taking place in this area.
- Bible Reader by Olive Tree: This multi-platform Bible reader has been one of the leading publishers of electronic Bibles for mobile devices. Available in a free King James Version, however, many other translations are available for a nominal charge. One of the unique features of this application is the availability of Greek and Hebrew texts. Making this application a must have for any scholar. Available for iOS, Android, and Blackberry.
- ESV Bible by Crossway: This is the electronic version of the famed English Standard Version Bible. Available for multiple devices, this application is a fully functional Bible with search, note taking, bookmarking capabilities. This application is available free for iOS, Android, and Windows, as well as online versions.
So what’s your favorite mobile Bible application?