Today we have another installment of our Big Block Of Cheese. These are just random thoughts that clutter my mind and every now and then I need to empty out some free space.
- Love – this isn’t really random, but the word l-o-v-e has been on my mind a lot lately.
- One of the things that my son always mentions when talking about his new job at a new church is the love that the people in that church have shown towards him. He has been amazed at all of the love and attention that he has received. This is great, but it is a little saddening to think that in many churches around the world, this is the exception rather than the rule.
- “Love Does” – I have been reading this book based on a series of posts that Bill the Cycleguy has been posting in the last week. I have to say that this is quickly becoming one of my favorite books. I LOVE this book.
- “Whimsy” – This is one of Bob Goff’s favorite words in this book. Throughout the book he talks about whimsy so I figured I would have to give it a shot. The problem with whimsy is that you can’t plan it, that’s also the beauty of it. I just like saying the word because it sounds sort of whimsical.
- Another reason that l-o-v-e has been on my mind lately is that I have been realizing that I love my wife more and more each day that we spend together. I’ve always known that I loved her but I figured that was it, I didn’t realize that when we started dating 32 years ago that our love would build upon itself each day. I am truly blessed and thank God each day for Him allowing us to be together.
- No – I’m not in the dog house and the above comment was not designed to get me back inside or out of the pound. I just felt the need to type the words that I feel.
- July – I know this post reads like it should have been written in February, but it really is July. If you don’t believe me, just check out the thermometer. The one outside here is supposed to top out at 103 today.
- Paraskevidekatriaphobia – until this year I had no idea what this meant, but since this Friday is the third “Friday the thirteenth” we have had this year I have learned that there are those that have this fear.
- Normal – is it normal for us to have this many Friday the thirteenths? Actually it is not, I looked it up. According to this article, we typically only have 2 per year and this year we will have 3. Not only that, but each of the 3 this year will occur 13 weeks apart. I’m glad this Friday is the last one or I might wind up with Paraskevidekatriaphobia.
- I bet you would never have guessed that I could work the word Paraskevidekatriaphobia into this post 3 times, at least I didn’t decide to try for 13.
- My wife and I are headed to Philadelphia next month on a business trip. When we told our kids, my son said: ”Don’t let your car get ticketed.” Well first of all, we are flying so I don’t really have to worry about the “Parking Wars.” But secondly it reminded me that sometimes we form impressions about places or people based on limited amount of information. I’m sure that Philadelphia has much more than just “Parking Wars.” I think there is a bell or something there too.
- Do people form impressions of Christianity or churches in the same manner? Of course they do. What impression are you giving people about your religion, Parking Wars or Liberty Bell?
What’s been clogging up your mind lately?
You may also be interested in these posts.