One of my favorite resources for biblical media is my Glo Bible application. In case you are unfamiliar with the application, Glo is an interactive, media rich Bible application that is available for Windows and Mac computers as well as your iPad and iPhone. There are many different Bible applications available on multiple platforms but what makes Glo so special is the interactive media. With its HD video, high-resolution images, zoomable maps, and 360-degree virtual tours, Glo Bible brings the Bible to life in a way that we could have only just dreamed of five years ago.
Glo is racing towards the one million mark. They are on the verge of surpassing 1 million downloads of Glo and Powered by Glo products on all platforms around the world. In an effort to achieve this objective by July 13th (this Friday) they are promising special discounts and promotions if the goal is reached. They are also planning to continue the celebration of this milestone all month long with the launching of new products and upgrades.
What is Glo?
So what exactly is Glo? In the simplest of terms, Glo is a collection of articles, videos, maps, and high-resolution photos that are linked to the Scriptures. But it really is more than that.
- The complete Bible in four popular translations with resources and media related to each verse displayed on every page.
- It is a timeline of events in chronological order and in context, completely searchable, with thumbnail previews of the events.
- It is one of the best Bible Atlases that I have ever used, with detailed maps using a Google-maps style interface and of course, completely searchable by keyword.
- It is a topical Bible with relevant verses for thousands of subjects.
- It is your complete study headquarters with reading plans, journal capabilities, notes, and bookmarks.
- But where Glo really glows is with its media.
- Over 2300 high-resolution photos.
- 7500 + Encyclopedia articles.
- 450+ Virtual Reality Tours
- 3.5 hours of video.
- 650+ works of art.
- each fully searchable by keyword or verse makes this program one of my favorites.
With all of this information at your fingertips the program could have become clunky and awkward to use. But the Glo Bible is one of the most elegant programs that I have ever used. With its “lens” view, you are exploring the beauty of God’s Holy Word in no time at all. I use to spend hours scouring the internet looking for images and maps to supplement my lessons but with Glo the process has been reduced to just minutes and the lessons have never looked better.
The Windows version of Glo Premium comes equipped with “My Presentations” allowing you to simply drag and drop maps and images to create your presentations. This feature is coming to the Mac version soon.
Try Glo and See
The Glo Bible comes in a free version that includes the full NIV translation of the Bible but to enjoy the full splendor of what Glo has to offer you can purchase the Premium Edition. With this premium edition you can install the Glo application on up to 5 separate devices. This is a great benefit for someone such as myself and I have the Glo program installed on my Mac at home, my PC at work, my iPhone and iPad. No matter where I am, I can always access God’s Word with the wonderful maps, images, and video to help with my studies.
If you haven’t tried out Glo, I highly recommend you start with the Glo Lite version and see for yourself how beautiful the Holy Bible can be. You can find out more about the Glo products at their Glo Bible website or you can download the mobile application for your iOS device from the App Store for the iPhone or iPad. Check it out and help Glo reach the 1 million mark by July 13th.
If you have tried out the Glo Bible application, what is your favorite feature?
You may also be interested in these posts.